So for the first installment in culinary concoctions, here’s a twist on a simple, but amazingly adaptable favorite, MAC & CHEESE! Keyword being adaptable because you can add or subtract ingredients to suit your taste buds. This is a chance to get creative in the kitchen, put whatever you like in there, nothing’s wrong…unless it tastes horrible and/or poisons someone. But no judgement if that’s your MO…..ANYWHO. Let’s just put it out there, I am not a chef, but people liked it so hey let’s share.
Basic Items aka What I used in my recipe:
- Mac n Cheese box items (Macaroni and cheese packet- this can be from scratch, you fancy thing you)
- Spices Adobo seasoning
- Butter 2 Tbsp (mine was the salted kind)
- Cheese – Mexican Style Shredded Cheese – 1/2 – 1 cup
- Seasoned Breadcrumbs – 2 cups – ish
- Eggs – 3 eggs
- Oil – At your discretion, enough to cover the pan you are using. I used a deep fryer 😛
Options List: For those who want a little more oomph in their cheesy bombs
- Cheese: Here, I grant you freedom of cheese expression. Personally, I put in some Mexican style shredded cheese. You can go for sharp cheddar, the other shredded cheese blends, or even mozzarella (OMG killer idea if you pair this with marinara dipping sauce!! It will be like Mac n Cheese married mozarella sticks!! *stares off into distance*) (ALSO The cheesier the better :D)
- Seasoning (Optional seasonings, use one or more)
- Adobo seasoning (Always a good choice)
- Chili Seasoning to spice it up
- Italian Seasoning (Again, think about that mozzarella mmm)
- 1 Jalapeno chopped (Optional with or without seeds, for the bombs to really explode >:D)
- Meat stuffs – Ground beef (Hamburger Helper anyone?), Spam, Chicken pieces – Remember to cook the meats before adding to macaroni
At this point just go for whatever you wanna put in this recipe.
Step 1: If you have Mac n cheese leftovers most of the work is already done (if you want to add items to the leftovers skip to step 3 OR step 5 if you want to make the bombs as is). But working from scratch you have to boil the macaroni (al dente is fine because we will be frying them again later). With that going you can prepare/cook your meats how you prefer.
Step 2: Once the pasta is done, drain water.
Step 3: Return to low heat and add cheese packet, seasonings, and extra cheese. (This is also where you add the extras such as meat or jalapenos.) Cook and stir until the shredded cheeses are melted and all is mixed together.
Step 4: Let cool and then place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Step 5: Remove from fridge and make some balls of cheesy goodness. I used an ice cream scoop and placed the cheese balls of perfection on a cookie pan with parchment paper. Freeze for about an hour.
Step 7: Fry em! Make sure the oil is pretty hot (about 350 degrees) before placing them in. A good test is to drop a grain of rice in and if it pops back up and cooks then game on! Brown those cheesy rounds from heaven for a few minutes and you are good to go.
Step 8: Drain them on a paper towel and word of advice; insides are super hot! Serve hot but not too hot and enjoy!!
Or by yourself
But just know that after the first one it’ll be like..
Happy unbirthday to you and enjoy those mac n cheese bombs!! I should make a variety pack…hmm